Weekend Visitor Services Assistant
Schedule: 6.5-7 hours per week plus additional hours as needed for events
Salary: $14.50 per hour, non-exempt
Reports to: Manager of Visitor Services and Inclusion
Join the Museum’s Visitor Services team and be part of creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for the Museum’s visitors. The Museum is hiring for both Saturday and Sunday positions. Additional hours will be available as events and programs are scheduled.
The primary function of the job is staffing the admissions desk and assisting with sales in the Museum Shop. A secondary function is assisting with private events hosted at the Museum and Museum programs and events. Assistance for rentals and events will be on an on-call basis and includes the physical set-up and break-down of equipment, and staffing the front desk during the event.
Job Duties for Visitor Services Assistant
- Welcome and orient visitors
- Process admissions, memberships, and program tickets
- Assist customers with merchandise and shop sales
- Answer general visitor questions about the Museum, town of Clinton, and surrounding area
- Answer Museum telephone line
- Restock and clean Shop and Tea Room
- Open and close registers
- Monitor security while visitors are in the Museum
- Assist with set up and breakdown of tables and chairs, A/V equipment, special displays, and other items as needed for each event
- Ensure that galleries and function rooms are clean and all furniture and equipment is restored to proper places
- 1-2 years of retail and money handling experience preferred
- Punctual, reliable, courteous; good team player
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Able to function efficiently and remain cheerful under pressure
- Experience with, or ability to quickly learn, POS software, MS Office Suite, MS Outlook, and other computer applications
- Able to physically lift, push, pull, hold and carry up to 40 pounds for brief periods
- Flexibility to work weekends and occasional evenings as needed
How To Apply:
To apply: email a letter of interest and resume as one PDF to Amy Consalvi, Director of Interpretation at email@example.com. Please indicate if you prefer Saturdays or Sundays in your letter of interest. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.
Docents are our volunteer tour guides who work with the public to enhance the visitor experience through formal guided tours as well as informal one-on-one conversations. This is a wonderful opportunity to learn about icons, Russian culture, and art history, and to meet and work closely with a dedicated volunteer group. The program consists of a 6-month training period as well as continuing education opportunities including lectures, workshops, local trips, and special events.
All training is provided at no cost. New docents are asked to make a one-year commitment. The time requirement is roughly 8 to 12 hours a month. Docents must be available to attend meetings on two Wednesday mornings per month from 9:30 am to 11:30 am.
For inquiries or questions, please contact Amy Consalvi by calling 978.598.5000, x125, or by email, info(at)museumofrussianicons.org.
OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
From time to time, the Museum has a need for volunteer help with special events or in-house projects. If you have an interest in volunteering, please contact Amy Consalvi by email: info(at)museumofrussianicons.org or call 978.598.5000 x125, to learn about current opportunities.
The 2021 internships have been filled. Please watch this page beginning in January of 2022 for information on internships for next year.
Each year, the Museum of Russian Icons hosts interns who contribute their talents to the organization while gaining professional skills. Past interns have worked on substantial projects such as curating small exhibitions; creating marketing material; planning programs; and designing products for the Museum Shop. Projects vary depending on Museum needs and students’ interests. One of the benefits of being at a small organization is that interns have an opportunity to observe all staff and departments while specializing in one particular area.
Questions? Please contact Amy Consalvi, Director of Interpretation, 978.598.5000 x125 of aconsalvi (at) museumofrussianicons.org.